Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A thankful heart

I am very thankful today that even though...

our poor evergreen trees...

still look like this...

that we were able to get away for a day.

Can you guess where we went?

It is only about an hour and a half away from us.

and the horse and buggies are plentiful here.

Shipshewana, Indiana!

{home of the world renouned flea market
although they don't have it in the winter}

On our drive the sun was shining bright...

and the ice on the trees just glistened.

Yoders department store is a must see if you have
never been. They have everything you can imagine.

Love this urn...could have packed it up
and brought it along home with me...
but then that would have been stealing
and that is not nice. :)

I am thankful for the beautiful snow on the trees
that made a gorgeous picture...in spite of the fact
that I am so tired of snow.

Can you see the *buggy rides* sign way over to the
right? I didn't even notice it until I was looking at
my photos.

I am also very thankful also that this photo and the next
one turned out so pretty in spite of the fact that I took
them outside of the car window while traveling
55 mph. (and absolutely no editing)

Aren't they gorgeous?

This is one of the shops that has neat architectural ideas.

Love this walkway and the arbor above it.

We usually eat here at the Blue Gate Restaurant, but
since it was a quick trip we ended up eating fast food
on the way down. I know, I know...

This was why I really wanted to go and I was very
thankful that they were open today.

Look at the snow on the roof. I am very thankful that
it didn't come down on my head! lol.

We had a wonderful day away today and I will show
my purchases and other photos next time.
Hubby's shop has been shut down this week due to
power outages from the ice storm and he may end
up having the whole week off. Michigan has called
in many electric trucks from Ohio and Indiana
to try and get all the power restored, but it is going
to take a long time.

We usually lose power in these instances, but I am
very thankful that we didn't this time. My brother
who lives about 10 miles northwest of us has not
had power since before 3 am Monday morning
and may not have it until the end of the week. Factories are closed, schools are closed, businesses
are closed , but we are thankful to be doing fine.

I will be linking up to White Wednesday over at
Faded Charm. Have a wonderful day! Blessings~

21 comments:

Elyse said...

hi sandi,

the pictures in this post are BEAUTIFUL! i've never been but i have visited amish country in lancaster, PA. always fascinating, inspiring and beautiful! glad you had a nice day.

hope power is restored soon. what a winter! (i vowed to myself not to complain about winter but yeesh!)

thankful, too.

xo
elyse

Unknown said...

what a day you had- what enchanting pictures! love the white trees- they do not even look real they are so perfect!

Karen

Linda Breedlove said...

Ooohhhh... thank you Sandi for the gorgeous photos. So lovely!!! The Lord is so good... we always need to be thankful for what He has given us. Thank you for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Beautiful Photos!! And what a charming place!!! I would love it there!! So glad you got to get out and have a wonderful day!! I personally would have to stay in my jammies by the fire with snow and ice like that. ;) Gorgeous to look at though.

A Mare Of A Different Color said...

Sounds like a fun day and sorry to hear of all the troubles old man winter is causing. Stay warm.

xxx
z

Unknown said...

...hey sweets!!
Get your snow shoes on and come for tea and raspberry ganache brownies!! We'll talk about that urn ~ LOL!!!!
(it looks like it's HEAVY, and you need two criminals, er, I mean, people, to lift it ~ LOL!!)
Love the ice tree:)
xo, Rosemary

Seawashed said...

beautiful snow photos. sounds like a perfect getaway day!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Lots to be thankful for Sandi! Love your trip pics and especially that urn that you 'thankfully' didn't steal. :)
- Susan

Vicki said...

So much to be thankful for...I know the snow is not much fun after a storm or two but it sure is beautiful.Thanks for sharing!

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Beautiful post. Your photography is exquisite. We were suppose to get 4-6 inches of snow last night, but only got about 1/2 an inch. I was looking forward to it as we have had so little this year. I hope all are well up there and the electric for those without will soon be restored. That to me is the only scary part of snow. Thanks for your visit!!! ~~Sherry~~

June said...

Sandi your pictures are GORGEOUS!!!
You captured so much beauty on your drive. I loved them all, and the one with the huge tree covered in ice is beautiful!
Thanks for bring us so much loveliness. I can certainly see why you are thankful!
big hugs

It's me said...

What a snow Sandi !! o my........happy day darling...and i hope spring will come soon........love Ria....

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Sandi ~ I have a thankful heart too!!!

Beautiful pictures and I can't wait to see what you got!

Thank you again for all your prayers and shout out the other day! My heart is thankful for you!

Unknown said...

Sandi, WOW. First, you are really good with the camera. That place, OMG ,just breathtakingly beautiful. Places like that remind me how great is our Lord. Blessings, Marta.

Ellen said...

Oh my, what beautiful moments you captured with your camera. Love the buggy pictures and the old urn too. So thankful for your electricity too. It looks like you and your sweet husband had a wonderful day and I'm so glad for you!

xoxo,
Ellen

Lady Pamela said...

Can't wait to see what you picked up in such a beautiful place, Sandi. We have had unusually warm sunshine, but that will soon change according to the weather man. *Hugs*

Sweet Old Vintage said...

The pics are lovely...

Donna said...

Your poor, poor trees! Eeek, that ice is frightful!

How wonderful that you were able to get away and visit that lovely area in Indiana! I fondly remember my visit, including dropping some cash at Yoders! Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

Heaven's Walk said...

Hey Sandi! I LUV LUV LUV visiting Shipsee!! It's about 1.5 hours from me, too. Haven't been there in quite a few years, and I didn't know they were open all winter long! I've been to every one of those shops you shared with us - and they are amazing!!! So glad you had a great time!! Happy WW!

xoxo laurie

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Simply Beautiful! I Love the Amish people but have never been to Amish Country.I do have lots of Amish Cook Books.~Cheers Kim

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi Sandi,

I received my order to day for the little hearts. Beautifully packaged, like a present! I love them, and they are even prettier in person. thanks so much! I will be visiting again soon!

Hugs,
Debbie from NJ