Monday, December 1, 2008

Flint Institute of Art

Oh my goodness...when we were at my daughters over the weekend we went to the Flint Institute of Art and saw the most amazing paintings. The Masterpieces of European Painting are on display until March and as I said in a previous post I was in awe. I am sure a lot of you have seen paintings like these, but being from the back roads of Michigan....I was thrilled to be able to go.

The picture that I have included on the members magazine was one of the HUGE European paintings. I stand about 5 foot 4 inches and it was much taller than I am. I was amazed at the sheer size of several of the pieces and the detail as well. They could sure paint back then!

"Comprised of fifty-six paintings, Materpieces of European Painting from the Museo de Arte de Ponce provides audiences with an unforgettable experience of timeless works of art that traverse the stylistic development of the European painting tradition, from the early 14th century to the late 19th century. The collection includes outstanding examples of Italian Renaissance paintings on panel, Baroque, Rococo, Neo-Classical, Academic, and the Pre-Raphaelites."

(All these pictures with the red background on this post were not from the European Collection , but from a permanent collection at the institute)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

It must have been wonderful to see these gorgeous paintings in person! I would love to be able to view such a collection ~ nothing like this seems to make its way to southern Mississippi!