Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weekend Project ~ Painting My Beloved Desk White

This desk was built for me by my father when I was still a youngster at home and I love it not only because of the style , but because it was made by my father whom I love dearly.

A little history about my desk...after I got married my dad and I loaded up the desk in his truck to take it to my house. My parents live on a very curvy road and as we were driving down the road and around one of the curves, I watched out the back window of the truck in absolute horror as my beloved desk tumbled out of the truck and pieces of it went flying everywhere! I did not think it would ever be the same, but being the great guy my dad has always been, he took it back home and fixed it and brought it to me all intact. It did have it's dings here and there, but it was together again and it was mine! That was very special to me as he could have just thrown it away, but I think he knew how much it meant to me.

I have wanted to paint it white for some time now and this weekend I decided to go ahead and do it. I love how it turned out and all the cubby holes that I get to fill up with treasures. I took a few quick pictures, but trust me more will be added to the nooks to fill it up. Have a blessed Sunday ! :) Shimmer and Glitz~

Buttons , buttons and more buttons ~
LOVE this vintage dress and hat~
Goodies on my desk ~Little corner of my world~
I LOVE these handles! It had different handles , but one was broke so they needed to be replaced. My daughter gave these to me after she took them off of a desk that we gave her years ago. I also distressed the desk to make it shabby looking, but it really doesn't show up in the pictures too well~
My desk after priming and painting~
My desk before I painted it~

3 comments:

Amanda Kaake said...

Just gorgeous!!! Your daughter must love you;)

The Feathered Nest said...

Sandi! I just love it white!!! It goes so much better with your style ~ what a sweet dad to have put it all back together after falling out of the truck! I just love those handles too, I've painted several pieces with that style handle. Hope you have a great week Sandi ~ xxoo, Dawn

Heidi said...

Lovey, all of it...the desk and all the pink/shabby/girl things! My favorite thing to do in the world is to paint *anything* white! My family makes fun of me for that!
*Heidi*